The medias role within the communities is directly related to how they view being black. In many countries they do not highlight black women as being beautiful, or being successful. In those same countries people do not identify as black. Although this is a bad influence it is not uncommon. In America the media has a resounding influence on how people view themselves. One question I have that I don't think will ever be answered is, "how would the world be different if media had no impact, any part of the world, on how people viewed themselves and others."
The media's influence on social and cultural attitudes is controversial. Media executives like to argue that their content simply mirrors what already exists in society. However, critics contend that it often exploits cultural stereotypes for profit. When it comes to race, I find it very interesting to study how people of color have been portrayed in popular media throughout our nation's history. You don't have to dig very deeply to reach a conclusion that isn't very flattering.
ReplyDelete