I was able to locate an article about Brazil and how it views its black race.
Most people tend to not even associate themselves as black, but somewhere in-between. The black population, though they make up almost 50% of the population, tend to be on the lower levels of the economic and social hierarchy that is Brazil. They are hoping to change that, but they have a long ride ahead of them. They are currently trying to pass a law to absolve the issues with race, but they were hoping that it wouldn't have to be this way. Although they showed in the film that this happens during carnival season that people appreciate their roots, they don't show what happens on a day-to-day basis in Brazil.
Also, I found it horrible that many black women in Brazil want to straighten their hair and erase their culture that comes with it. I believe everything about you, including curly hair, shows your ancestry and where you come from. I like how they have a week to celebrate their roots, but it shouldn't be just a week celebration, they should have parties more often and to be proud of where they come from.
Good post Kelly!
ReplyDeleteI too find it interesting that many women in Brazil straighten their hair to develop more Caucasian attributes. However, this is a practice that also is common in the United States.