BBC News - Latin America & Caribbean

Monday, December 5, 2011

You Say Bay of Pigs, I Say...

This article discusses the difference in viewpoints about the same event: The Bay of Pigs/Playa Giron. The fiftieth anniversary of this event is approaching soon when this article is written. Playa Giron is a beach where the fighting took place which is what Monica describes. A discussion of the use of words is then written in the article. She explains that calling Fidel Castro "Fidel," is different from calling him "Castro." She then states that the two should not mix- and neither will the terms of The Bay of Pigs and Playa Giron ever mix. Although the parade is approaching, the article makes it sound like the people aren't as enthused as they should be. She states that the real issues in Cuba lie in the liberal economic policies- which are the main focus of conversation, not the parade. I found this article to be very interesting because I never really thought about the controversies that exist about historical aspects of Cuba.

No comments:

Post a Comment