BBC News - Latin America & Caribbean

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Illegal Immigration

Illegal immigration is an issue that I believe seems to have an abnormal amount of focus, especially in the United States. While I strongly endorse and support the deportation of those convicted of serious crimes - sex criminals, murderers, gang members etc. - I cannot support deportation of someone who is working to improve his or her own life. The deportation of someone who is fleeing a dangerous situation, or searching for more opportunities, is something that I actually feel to be wrong. For a country that has all but become the face of personal liberty, and personal and professional opportunity, it seems backwards that those who wish to gain these things are mistreated. This is especially true when the pursuits of liberty and opportunity have no adverse effect on the society; why should these people be mistreated? This belief of mine is influenced by the fact that I believe many of these people do not become illegal immigrants out of desire, but rather necessity. Were the immigration process easier, I believe there would be far fewer illegal immigrants.

1 comment:

  1. You raise valid points. However, can ANY country withstand unchecked immigration without suffering some social and economic costs? There are responsibilities associated with the freedoms enjoyed by all those who legally live in the US.

    ReplyDelete