Through taking World History II, I had already known quite a lot about Toussaint L'Ouverture after doing a research paper on him. I know that the documentary has little to do with the man, but I wish they had spent more time talking about who he was and what he did considering he started the slave revolts and is a national hero. I think he should be talked about more in the U.S. as well because he was really the first black man in the new world who was able to unify and defeat the most powerful nation in the world at the time. On a different note, what actual made me pretty mad was the foreign interaction with Haiti. If the U.S. and French had accepted Haiti's legitimacy from the start of the revolution, would it still be the worst off country in the Western Hemisphere? Personally, I don't think so. Its crazy to think that a countries presence in another can have such long lasting affects, though corrupt leaders didn't help either. I believe before marching into countries or challenging their legitimacy, regardless of the political implications, our country needs to look at more long term effects our presence might have to really have Liberty and Justice for all
.
Good post Patrick! As you may remember from your US History class last year, the United States has a long history of intervening in the affairs of Latin America. Haiti is definitely not alone. Unfortunately, we're still dealing with the lasting effects of this today.
ReplyDeletePS...awesome flags!
ReplyDelete