After watching the segment on Haiti and the Dominican republic I was really surprised as how vastly different the cultures were on the same island. I got the idea of twins who were separated at birth. To start Africans were brought to the island of Espanola because they were needed for slave labor in the new world. Once on the island the separation takes place. One set of people were given (honestly just taken) to the French and the other to the Spanish (same deal). While each "twin" grew under different "parents" they started to embrace the culture of that parent and as time went on it became their own. Like most twins who are separated they find out the truth and seek their parents, some choose to accept this fact and embrace their "biological roots" (Haiti) while other chooses to reject it (Dominican republic). I just find it very interesting that under such very similar circumstances on the same island, that there could be such a clear and definite difference in culture and where they believe that culture is rooted.
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Black In Latin America
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great post Carlos! I think your twins metaphor is particularly apt.
ReplyDelete