BBC News - Latin America & Caribbean

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Haiti and the Dominican Republic Relations

In Black in Latin America we watched a segment about Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Despite the fact that they are neighbors with one another, they have shared a hostile relationship that dates back to 1844 when the Dominican Republic gained its independence from Haiti. The Dominicans spent the next 20 years trying to keep Haiti out of their country, but when the earthquake hit Haiti in 2010 the Dominican Republic was the first country to bring aid to the Haitians. I found that very interesting and wanted to learn more about it so I looked for an article and found one from CNN World about the recent relations between these two historically waring countries. There are still tensions that exist between the citizens of both countries, but relations are considered to be at a high point right now when you compare them to 20 or 30 years ago. I was surprised to find out about all of the aid that the Dominican Republic was planning on sending over to relieve Haiti of some of the bare essentials like, food, water, and mobile clinics. I find it hopeful that these two countries are at least trying to work cordially together, but I find it sad that it takes a catastrophe to bring these two countries together.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link to CNN World! Check out the article entitled "As Refugees From Haiti Linger, Dominicans' Good Will Fades" from nytimes.com that I posted to our current events map. It argues that the goodwill that existed in the immediate aftermath of the earthquake may be fading.

    ReplyDelete