I found the story about the relationship between Dominican Republic and Haiti extremely interesting. Both of the countries have almost identical racial make-up and deep African root. Yet the attitudes of the people in each country are so different. Dominican totally denied their black root, while Haiti is very proud of it. In the video it is mentioned that mainly it is due to the wars between the two countries, and the bitter relationships between the master and the workers. This strange out come immediately makes me think of Asia. People of China, Japan and Korea have been having this subtle, delicate mixed feeling about each other since I could percept and feel. As Japan invaded both of China and Korea, and the China participated in the Korea war which torn a country into two, scares of war bittered Asian's feeling towards each other. We are the countries that are the least likely to hate each other since our cultures are essentially the same, even the root of languages are more similar than that of European countries. But this blind hatred and misunderstanding goes on. From my point of view, language is a terrible barrier; preventing communication from taking place is very destructive. As I am studying here and we all speak English, I could talk to Koreans about the most sensitive issues freely and after all I do feel like I understand them and that strong bond between us.
Good post Nick! I agree that language and other cultural differences can pose formidable barriers to the cooperation between the people of different nations. Add the racial component like the one faced by the inhabitants of Hispaniola, and the challenge becomes even more significant!
ReplyDelete