After watching the most recent video segment of Black in Latin America, I was struck by the story of Haiti, and I went searching for something interesting to write about Haiti. I found a very interesting article on CNN about progress in Haiti that corresponded well with some of the ideas of progress we have been talking about in class. What follows is a summary of the article, which can be found here.
Conille is easily qualified for this position, as he is a former aide to Bill Clinton, and a United Nations development specialist. As someone who understands international relations very well, he will surely be able to help Haiti, a country that depends on the generosity of the international community. It won't be entirely easy, though, from here on out because Conille and Martelly now have to find someone with the financial mind to put into action, realistically in a financial sense, the developmental ideas that Conille will no doubt be bringing to the table. It's a good start, the ratification of the prime minster, and a step in the right direction, but the Haitian government needs to remember - I'll stretch this metaphor just a bit further - to keep on walking in the same direction while continuing to watch the path that it is on, and the path that it has taken so far.
Great post Sam! I agree that the formation of Haiti's new parliament is a significant step in the right direction. Unfortunately, there are many more steps to make. In my opinion, it is in the best interests of Haiti's neighbors, including the United States, that the new government stay on the right path.
ReplyDelete